In keeping with guidelines and direction from the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) and Atlanta Public Schools (APS), Grady Athletics will move forward with Phase III of the APS Athletics Revised Guidance for Acclimatization and Practice.
Please note that the APS plan may be more restrictive than GHSA’s in some areas but is not permitted to be less restrictive in any area. Additionally, only fall sports sanctioned by the GHSA are allowed to workout or practice at this time. Lastly, this is not a decision regarding the reopening of schools or the use of APS facilities by the public. Community access to APS schools, buildings, and facilities remains restricted until further notice.
Practice and Play Dates
The first contest date for Football has been moved back to September 4, but the first contest date for all other Fall sports and the first practice dates for all sports remain unchanged.
Individual Screening and Reporting
- All staff and students are screened prior to each daily workout.
- Individuals who are experiencing any symptoms associated with COVID-19 (fever in the last 24 hours, body aches or chills, extreme fatigue, cough, pain or difficulty breathing, sore throat, loss of taste or smell), or have been in contact or care of someone with COVID-19 are not allowed at workouts until 14 days after symptoms have subsided or contact/care of someone with COVID-19 has ended.
- Individuals who have test results for COVID-19 pending should not attend workouts and are encouraged to communicate the date of their test to a Grady Athletics staff member as soon as possible so that appropriate action can be taken.
Group Numbers & Activities
- There are no remaining limitations on group numbers.
- Social distancing should be adhered to as much as possible.
- Scrimmages are allowed as outlined in the GHSA Constitution and By-Laws.
- Only fall sports sanctioned by the GHSA are allowed to workout or practice at this time.
The use of locker rooms or shower facilities is acceptable with the following guidance:
- Facilities should be sanitized after each practice.
- There should not be more than 25 athletes in a locker room at any time. Coaches will develop a system of knowing how many enter and exit the locker room, which may require athletes dressing in groups.
- Students shall not congregate in locker room or indoor facilities.
Equipment & Supplies
- All sports-specific equipment, including balls, may be used but should be sanitized between sessions.
- Weight equipment should be cleaned prior to each workout and sanitized between uses by each student.
- Hand sanitizer should be plentiful and readily available.
- Helmets and shoulder pads for Football must be cleaned daily.
- All personal items should be taken home by each student-athlete daily and washed. Items may not be left in lockers daily.
- Masks or face coverings are required to be worn in locker rooms, weight rooms, or any other indoor facilities.
- Masks or face coverings are required for coaches and staff members at all times.
- Students should bring their own water and water bottles but there will be water on-site at any practice or workout for emergencies.
- Only coaches, managers, or staff members may fill or refill coolers or water bottles, and gloves must be worn at all times when doing so.
- Parents/caregivers, onlookers, and visitors will not be allowed to stay on campus. Parents who drop off their children must leave campus and return to pick up their children after workouts have been completed.
- Outside groups and individuals are not currently permitted to use athletic facilities or schedule future usage.
- Guidance regarding spectators, venue seating, and concessions at home athletic contests will be coming later from senior administration.